Franciscan church was the orderšs studium in Naples. It
was built over an Early Christian basilica founded by
Bishop John II, ("The Mediocre") which was donated to
the Franciscans in the 1230s.
The earliest document we have for the Gothic structure
is of 1284, the commutation of part of a fine imposed
on the Rufolo family of Ravello for the construction of
the new church. But it is clear that considerable Gothic
construction had already occurred at the site, and it
is not clear which part of the structure the document
of 1284 refers to.